Treatment of Dry Eye
Treatment for dry eye depends on the cause and severity of the condition, as well as the patient’s overall health and personal preference. There are many surgical and non-surgical options available for treating your Dry Eye Disease. If you are suffering from Dry Eye, contact North Toronto Eye Care of Ontario to request an appointment and discuss your options.
Determining the Appropriate Course of Treatment for Dry Eye
By addressing environmental factors as well as direct eye treatments, the eye doctors at North Toronto Eye Care can help you to find relief from your dry eye symptoms. Frequent causes of Dry Eye Disease include:
- Environmental Factors: environmental factors that may cause dry eye disease include the weather and elements, altitude levels, smoke, allergies, and dust.
- Lifestyle Factors: Lifestyle factors that can cause dry eye include computer or screen time spent without sufficient blinking, smoking or being around smoking often, contact lenses, LASIK eye surgery, and consumption of certain medications that may cause dry eye.
- Physical Conditions: Physical factors that may contribute to Dry Eye Disease include hormonal changes, Thyroid related disorders, and Sjogren’s Syndrome.
Most commonly, Dry Eye Disease is caused by Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, which describes a gland disruption that prevents proper lubrication of the eyes. Blockages disrupt the meibomian glands’ ability to secrete oil, and without the appropriate oil levels tear films evaporate quickly and lead to Dry Eye Disease. In many cases, treatment of Dry Eye Disease necessitates clearing these blockages.
- Restasis, a prescription eye drop that increases the number of tears that are being produced and heals the corneal damage associated with dry eye.
- Adding omega-3 fatty acids to the diet as food or supplements.
- The use of artificial tears or a moisturizing ointment/drops.
- Be aware of your environment. Avoid air conditioning or windy conditions outdoors and increase humidity levels at home or work.
- Wash your eyelids or use warm compresses to control inflammation and keep the area free of excess oils.
- Stop smoking and avoid exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Limit the use of allergy and cold medicines.
- Blink on purpose.
Dry Eye Treatment:
- Punctal Plugs may be inserted in the corners of the inner eyelids to limit tear drainage.
- Punctal Cautery a procedure to permanently close the tear drainage holes.
- Eyelid surgery is a solution if an eyelid condition is causing your dry eyes.
- Warm compresses with a heated eye mask and gland massages
- LipiFlow treatment applies heat and massages the meibomian glands through pulsating eyepieces, called activators. This helps to evacuate blockages in the glands and promote oil production in the eye.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treats meibomian gland dysfunction. Powerful bursts of light on the skin decrease factors that contribute to meibomian gland problems.
- Labtician Eye Drops may be indicated for the treatment of mild to moderate dry eye symptoms. These preservative and phosphate-free eye drops are suitable for daily and chronic use, and compatible with contact lens wear.
If you are suffering from Dry Eye Disease, there are many options available at North Toronto Eye Care in Ontario that can help you to manage your symptoms and find relief. Call or request an appointment today to take the first step toward managing your dry eye symptoms!
Dr. Rabinovitch testing out digital heat treatment for dry eye symptoms at the American Academy of Ophthalmology conference.
Preventing Dry Eye
There are certain steps patients can take to prevent the symptoms of dry eye from occurring, which is especially useful for those at an increased risk of developing symptoms. Simple lifestyle modifications such as wearing protective glasses on windy days, giving your eyes a break during reading or other strenuous tasks can effectively reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms.
Your NTEC doctor in the Greater Toronto Area will provide you with instructions as to how you can avoid the symptoms of dry eye based on your individual condition.
The i-lid’n lash® Plus cleansing wipes are used on individuals suffering from symptoms of dry eye and eye discomfort. It is formulated with tea tree oil, which provides effective, gentle cleansing and hydrating without irritating residue or stinging.
The benefits of this formula:
- Hydrates and soothes area around the eyes
- Does not irritate lids or lashes
- Enhances dry eye treatments
THERA°PEARL Eye Mask
The THERA°PEARL Eye Mask us a multi-use product that helps reduce puffy eyes. Use cold to help relieve puffy eyes and those wicked sinus headaches. Heat will help to relieve dry eye symptoms.
What does this product support?
- Puffy Eyes
- Dry Eyes
Thealoz & Hyabak
Thealoz is a drops solution for the management of dry eye symptoms. This formula is preservative-free and helps protect the eyes,
The benefits of this product:
- No preservatives
- Lubrication and protection of the eyes
- Can be used as often as necessary
- Useful for environmental-related dry eye symptoms (such as air conditioning or computer use)
Hyabak drops provide long-lasting relief from eye discomfort and dryness. There is no blurriness after applying the drops, and is completely free from preservatives and phosphates.
The benefits of this product:
- NO preservatives
- Moistens the surface of the eye
- Clinically proven to relieve symptoms of dry eye
- Hypotonic formulation for effective relief
- Can be used in conjunction with all types of contact lenses
Blephaclean wipes are single-use wipes used to reduce eyelid inflammation that can cause dry eye. These wipes have no detergents or preservatives and are safe for use on the eye. These wipes gently clean the eyelid; they are infused with vitamin A, zinc, and Iris Florentine, which can help to reduce inflammation and prevent debris buildup in the eye.
Bruder Dry Eye Compress masks are an at-home treatment that can be used to promote dry eye relief. These masks are heated in the microwave and applied to the eye, helping to unclog blocked oil glands. Bruder masks help to treat dry eye and irritation, relieve swelling and inflammation, and improve the production of oils by the Meibomian glands. By promoting proper eye lubrication, the eye can better expel bacteria and debris.