Dry eye can be uncomfortable to deal with and make getting through your day difficult. Learning the causes of dry eye, how to treat it, and where to seek treatment will help you put an end to the annoyances of this condition.
CAUSES OF DRY EYE
Dry eye has a number of causes. Some of the most common include:
- Environmental factors such as hot, dry climates
- Diseases and medical conditions such as arthritis, Parkinson’s and autoimmune diseases
- Birth control pills, antihistamines, decongestants, and other medications list dry eyes as a side effect
If you’re exposed to one or more of these causes, speak to your doctor about it. Seeking treatment for a medical condition, switching medications, or drinking more water may make an uncomfortable eye condition much more bearable.
TREATING DRY EYE
Most people will treat dry eye with eye drops they purchase over the counter at their local drug store. If these don’t work, it is wise to make an appointment with an eye doctor. The doctor can then try other forms of treatment such as:
- Topical steroids: Steroids help inflammation in your eyes that can cause dry eyes.
- Punctal plugs: The doctor will insert small plugs in the tear drains.
- Lipiflow: A heat and pressure treatment to unblock tear ducts.
- Restasis: This is prescribed eye drops that improve your eyes’ ability to form tears.
- IPL: Intense pulsated light treats MGD by using powerful bursts of light to release hardened oils and promote healthy gland function.
Since the causes and severity of dry eyes are different for everyone, only an eye care professional can advise which treatment is best for you. When meeting with your eye doctor, be sure to ask him or her about these treatments and how they could relieve your symptoms.
Need Help Treating Dry Eye? Contact North Toronto Eye Care
To learn more about eye safety or any of the services we offer, contact us today to schedule an appointment. Our offices are located in Toronto, Ontario, and we can be reached at 1-888-748-2021. We look forward to hearing from you.